Tortang talong is one of my favorite Filipino foods. It’s a dish my mom cooks for me whenever I visit home, and something I cook for myself when I miss my family. I love eating it for breakfast with a side of garlic fried rice and banana ketchup. Tortang talong can also be eaten for lunch or dinner, as a side dish or part of the main course.
Chinese or Japanese eggplants are commonly used, but you can also cut an Italian eggplant into thirds, lengthwise. The eggplant is charred by broiling it in the oven or cooking it over an open flame on the stovetop.
Once the skin is blackened, you can peel and discard the skin. Using a fork, gently flatten the eggplant down and pour a beaten egg on top. It is fried over medium-high heat until golden brown and then transferred to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
If you’d like, you can cook onions, garlic, beef, or pork before adding the eggplant egg mixture. It’s a really easy, delicious meal and I hope you try it out!
Tortang Talong (Eggplant Omelette)
- 1 eggplant ($1.50)
- 1 egg ($0.17)
- salt ($0.01)
- oil ($0.04)
- Preheat broiler. Place eggplant on a baking sheet and broil for 15-20 minutes, turning 2-3 times.
- Once the eggplant is blackened and soft, remove from heat and allow to cool on a plate. In a bowl, beat an egg and sesason with salt.
- When the eggplant is cooled, peel and discard the eggplant skin. Using a fork, gently flatten the eggplant down.
- Pour the beaten egg over the eggplant. Press down with the fork so that the eggplant absorbs some of the liquid.
- Lightly oil a frying pan and heat on medium-high heat. Transfer the eggplant egg mixture to the pan, pouring any excess egg on top. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then gently flip to brown the other side.
- Drain tortang talong on paper towel-lined plate. Serve with rice.
- Baked Frog Matcha Cream Buns
- Cute Polar Bear Macarons with Oreo Cheesecake Filling (French Method)
- Matcha Frog Cake with EASY Whipped Cream Frosting
- How Foodtography School Turned my Hobby into a Profitable Business
- Black Sesame Oreo Penguin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Teddy Bear Chocolate Chip Cookies (with EASY ICING RECIPE!)