These Oreo matcha muddy buddies are a simple 15-minute snack idea for any occasion! Add any toppings you’d like, such as marshmallows, pretzels, yogurt-covered nuts, M&M’s and more.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links.
About these Oreo matcha muddy buddies
I’ve been on a muddy buddy kick lately! First, I made oreo black sesame muddy buddies for Rooted Fare, and then my own ube marshmallow version. I had a few requests to make matcha muddy buddies, so here we are!
These are made with melted white chocolate, matcha, powdered sugar, Oreos, and marshmallows. The sweetness white chocolate balances the earthiness of the matcha really well, but you can substitute milk or dark chocolate instead. And totally feel free to add other mix-ins, like chocolate chips, pretzels, other chopped cookies, cereals, etc.
I have a bunch more puppy chow recipes planned, like strawberries & cream, raspberry white chocolate, etc., so stay tuned!
What are muddy buddies?
Muddy buddies (aka puppy chow) are a popular snack made with Chex cereal, nut butter, melted chocolate, and powdered sugar. They’re really easy to adapt into other flavors, like this matcha one!
Can you make these vegan?
Yes, you can make vegan muddy buddies! I would sub in vegan chocolate instead. Make sure you also are using vegan marshmallows!
Are these gluten-free?
The Rice Chex cereal is gluten-free, but not the Oreos. You can easily fix this by adding in gluten-free Oreos, though. 🙂
What else can I add to them?
You can literally add anything you’d like! Chopped pretzels, popcorn, yogurt covered raisins or nuts, M&Ms, other cereal, etc.!
Why are my muddy buddies soggy?
When transferring the muddy buddies from the Ziploc bag to the parchment paper, make sure they’re spread out in a single layer! This will help air them out and allow the chocolate to harden, which will only take <10 minutes.
Storing the muddy buddies
Store the matcha muddy buddies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. They’re also really good frozen/chilled, and can store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Oreo Matcha Muddy Buddies (aka Oreo matcha puppy chow)
- 1 gallon-size Ziploc bag
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal (120g)
- ½ cup white chocolate chips (85g)
- ½ – 1 ½ tbsp matcha, sifted, adjust to taste (3g-9g)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (120g)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (60g)
- 10 oreos, chopped (110g)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add all of the Rice Chex into the Ziploc bag.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring in between.
- Add sifted matcha ½ tbsp at a time to the melted white chocolate. Add more matcha if you want stronger matcha flavor. The white chocolate will thicken a bit, but don't worry!
- Pour the matcha white chocolate into the Ziploc bag, then seal the top. Shake the bag until the cereal is evenly coated.
- Dump in all of the powdered sugar, then seal the bag again. Shake until the cereal is evenly coated. Optional: Add 1 tbsp sifted matcha to the bag and shake.
- Immediately transfer the matcha muddy buddies onto the lined baking sheet. Make sure to spread them out and that they are in a single layer, or else they will get soggy.
- Allow the muddy buddies to sit out for about 10 minutes so the chocolate hardens, then mix in mini marshmallows and Oreos.
- Enjoy! Store them in an airtight container at room temp for up to 4 days. They're also yummy frozen and can keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.